Thursday 16 January 2014

Keeping it Truly African with Hope Masike

Zim Eye calls her ‘Zimbabwe’s Lass of Vibes’, to the Sunday Mail she is a Mbira Prodigy and to most she is affectionately known as The Princess of Mbira. By whatever title you know her as, no doubt, everybody agrees that Hope Masike is a phenomenal young woman. Having performed at a number of festivals in Zimbabwe, Serbia, Mozambique, South Africa, Netherlands, Norway and France, to list just but a few, is evidence enough of the kind of artist she is – a profoundly phenomenal one. True African Woman caught up with her yesterday and this is what she had to say:
TAW: How, why and when did you get in to music professionally?
I’d say round about 2008, although my interest in music goes beyond that. Why? Because it's my calling and as to the how part, among other things, I joined the Zimbabwe College of Music, and Umoja CFC.”
TAW: Why mbira?  
“When I started it wasn’t just because I liked it's heavenly sound, history and the culture around it, but also because very few people were playing it and it identified me as Zimbabwean, as African. Now it’s almost only because of it's special, soothing and educative virtues.” {mmm very interesting don’t you think?}
TAW: What is your genre?
{She puts on a naughty expression}“I’m gonna give you a very common, almost cliché answer – I DON’T LIKE BOXING MYSELF!”{Lol, doesn’t she just have jokes?}“But it’s true because otherwise I would have to stick to what I would have said is my genre. It’s mbira with anything and everything. Very generally, people would like to say its 'world music' or 'mbira fusion'. But that’s just as general as it sounds. I am beyond mere mbira fusion or world music…. Sounds very cliché too, doesn't it? Tell you what if anyone would like to know my genre, they should come watch me perform- live and kicking”{she smiles}“like on the 24th of January at Misty's in Newlands”.{Lol, advertising so doesn’t get any better!!!}
TAW: How many albums do you have?
“So far I have two. First one is called Hope, released in 2009. It has 11 tracks, including interludes and the second one is called Mbira, Love and Chocolate”.{And she just had to say the ‘chocolate’ with a French accent!!! We so loved!!!!}“And I’ve done a lot of collaborative stuff also and featured on a number of compilations.”
TAW: You are always on tour in a whole lot of places, matter of fact you were based in Norway for a year yes? Tell us about that.
“I went to Norway under a Norwegian exchange programme, to teach Zimbabwean music, but I used that opportunity to also network and that’s when and where I met Monoswezi.”{Monoswezi is a collaborative band she is in, comprised of herself, a guy from Mozambique, two from Sweden and the last from Norway.}“The tours are nice, although the travelling is hectic.  I love the tours all the same because, besides having a chance to talk about all things beautiful in Zimbabwe, I also have the privilege to visit new places, meet new people, do new music, eat new food, experience new weather … and that way , life almost always feels brand new. ”
TAW: And last year you won a NAMA. How does that feel?     
{She pauses and smiles before answering, you can tell she is still overwhelmed}“That was the highlight of 2013! It was such an honour because as it is a national award, it's an accolade that shows the country appreciates what I am doing”.{Oh yes, we not only appreciate but we LOVE!!!}
TAW: Your professional career is a little over half a decade old yes? Which is your fav of all your six professional years in music?
“mmmmm, well, it’s like asking a parent who their fav child is. Every year has had its bright and dark moments, but, I’d say my first years in the music industry were special. I threw myself in the deep-end and I had to learn to swim, and hooray!!! I did. ”
TAW: We hear there are a lot of dangers in the entertainment industry for young women. What are they and how are you avoiding them, lol, if you are?
“There are many dangers for women AND MEN in any industry. For instance, we women in the spotlight get a lot of men hitting on us, but I am sure it is the same for our male friends in the industry, not just because they are handsome, but … JUST BECAUSE! Only difference is how you decide to handle it. When it’s in the music industry we are in the spotlight, so perhaps dangers are amplified by that. But you know what helps?  Understanding that there are dangers everywhere (music industry or not) and that you will always need to protect yourself (music industry or not), and knowing who you are and what you stand for helps.”
TAW: We know you were on BBC last week. How was that?                           
“It was with Monoswezi. It was fun! To start with, just being at the BBC Hedquarters for the first time and just being in London too for the first time. And the actual interview- we spoke about our music, influences, cultures and we played live. It was beautiful!”{We can totally imagine yeah? Yeah!!! }
TAW: So Valentine’s is just around the corner yeah? And everybody is going to be feeling all romantic soon. With that in mind, what’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done – love-wise?
“I’ve never done anything crazy- love-wise, I’m that boring! Oh, wait a bit, I almost did last year, even wrote a song about it. But just before I did it, I discovered that the man I was willing to do it for was of a different persuasion and therefore, not that interested in the crazy things a woman can or cannot do, love-wise.”.{What a SPOIL SPORT he was!!!
 And that was us keeping it truly African with Hope Masike!
PS This one is for you Tavonga. Happy Birthday!!!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment