Thursday 19 September 2013

GOING ALL FANCY ON ME - WHY?

I got the idea of doing this piece from a guy I am temporarily working with this week. Apparently, I had gone blank and I was in one of those moods were you are like you know what? Whatever! I will write when I get inspiration. And as what almost happens all the time, I got inspiration when I least expected it at all!

We had just taken our seats at the Book CafĂ© yesterday for the Shoko Festival Hashtags and Freedom discussion, when the guy I was with suddenly rephrased his statement, evidently irritated with himself. I thought it was kind of sweet; he on the other hand was super annoyed. And he was like “because I hate it when people decide to go all fancy on me. I always go like really? Why do you want to go all fancy on me?”

We laughed about it, but it’s true. Don’t you just hate it when people say the most inappropriate of things on purpose because they want to show you that they were either at college, South Africa, in the U.K, the U.S or somewhere along those lines? Not that you are jealous or anything, but just that you are rolling your eyes and thinking oh please!

Earlier on this week, a Facebook friend of mine in South Africa went bananas on me when I had put “my friend” at the end of a comment on his post. Why? Because as his claims were over there the statement “my friend” is derogatory because of a host of reasons he wasn’t too hesitant to share with me. All the while I’m thinking oh please! This is me you are talking to! Your homey! How people there are attaching connotations to some phrase does not really apply to me because I am not there!

Ever noticed how when someone comes back from outside the country, they want to apply foreign lingo to local things. I mean come on! It just doesn’t work! Why? Because no one understands what you mean and in the end you have to explain what you mean and that usually involves saying where you were. Seriously? No!

One thing that almost always has me doubling over is when someone just suddenly, from nowhere, volunteers info that really is not necessary. You know how those conversations go. There really was no need for some background history as to how many countries they have travelled, how many languages they know, what influential people they know blah blah blah. But you get told anyway, and it’s as if you would not have gotten the point if that backstory had not been told.

Really? No man, why you wanna be going all fancy on me?


No comments:

Post a Comment